Thursday 11 February 2016

Lucy fillers..............

I am absolutely stoked some of you felt like you were standing on the dam bank with me listening to the frogs and the crickets in my last post........
that is how I wanted you to feel...........
OMG how amazing is nature coming to life so quickly.........
my first video on my blog worked.......sorry it didn't  work for Maria......
&&&&&
Moving onto Lucy..........
unless anyone has a better suggestion this is how I put my Lucy fillers together.........there isn't a pattern I am just working this out...........now everyone will put this together as they wish but this is how I have worked it out............and to make it easier I call them fillers......
If anyone has a better suggestion fire away..........tell me.......
I use my Westalee Ruler as I just leave it set and I don't have to think......love it........
I cut my strips 3.5inchs.......my little Lucy (honeycomb) template has 3/8inch seam allowance...........some of you will have them with a 1/4 inch seam allowance so your strips might be a smidgen narrower..........
line up 2 strips so you can cut 2 at once............
I free hand cut the fabric just holding the template and starting in the middle and going forward and back..............that's why the strips are a little crooked at the top and bottom.....
sometimes I cut the tops........
sometimes I cut the side and then I turn them around and cut the other 2...........
then you end up with a pile of cut fabric........
4 strips per 3 Lucy blocks......
then I pile them onto my new design board for storage until I get them onto the papers
Missed a photo here but I attach the papers with my glue pen............
my other design board is fantastic to work with too............
it's easy just to pick up the board from my lap when working on Lucy...........
Susan it has been a life saver it used to drive me nuts before picking everything up off my lap if I wanted to get up.....and it is brilliant in the car too...........I got lots done on the weekend while driving.............well Mr Chooky was driving..........all was well til it got dark..........
Don't ask me but I don't feel so well if texting too much and I can't read a book but I can sew for hours..............
now I sew the creams into banks of 3.............it works for how I join the fillers and how I attach to the Lucy block..............
Mini snaplock bags store the pieces before and after I join them...........
then I add the 1 inch squares to the creams like above............not all of them but probably 3/4 of the cream units............I am using a blue/grey print for the 1in squares but Sandy @ Shiralee Stitches is kitting up a lovely grey but I had this fabric and the bolt of cream............so using from my stash.......
So to make a filler I am using 1 x 2in square (or you can use 4 x 1in squares)..........then add 4 x cream units as above..............then 4 x 1in squares
I had tried a couple of ways to put these blocks together and found this is the easiest way for me..........
If you're doing the Lucy Boston BOM from Sandy @ Shiralee Stitches just email or ring her as she will just sort you out with what you need.............
then you have a filler block.........
I'll do a post next showing how I put Lucy and Lucy fillers together.......
Catch you later.......
Chookyblue.........

18 comments:

Michelle Ridgway said...

I love that idea of a filler block. I am just adding them as I go. The way you do it seems so much better...thanks for sharing x

Susie said...

Very clever. they look so good. Love your design board.

gracie said...

Love this

Deb said...

Lucy is looking fabulous.

Motherdragon's Musings said...

Wow, what a fantastic way to put the filler blocks together. I have been sewing the cream elongated hexies to each bkock. Think I will give yoyr way a try Chooky, looks easier. Thank you for the tip!

Maria said...

great filter blocks.. can't wait to see all the blocks together..

Susan said...

Love organise, prepped sewing that's ready to go. These look great.

DAWNIE said...

Great little tutorial of workflow, very organised I must say, amd wow the results, just beautiful, love these blocks.

szkornelia said...

This block looks great. Now I am curious how it will go together. :)

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Thanks for the refresher I need to get back into mine xxx

Anonymous said...

Oh wow I sure do love these blocks Chooky,looks like you will be busy for awhile xx

Janice said...

Wow! You have been productive. I can't wait to see it all coming together.

Sonia said...

Think I'll send my fillers your way when I've decided on the colour

Googy Girl said...

Great tutorial, finally pulled some fabric out to start making my own blocks..... I ll get to start my fillers soon though

Susan said...

Good to see some sewing happening!!! and glad those things are useful...your Lucy quilt will be lovely.

Melody said...

Your Lucy quilt is going to be beautiful

Steffi said...

Wunderschön, sieht richtig elegant aus!
Liebe Grüße
Steffi

Susan said...

Thanks Chooky - I will use that precut method - when I read this (today) I wondered if that design board was one I'd made - still only two??