Sunday 13 March 2011

Site feeds......what are they..........

I was setting up a blog for a lady on the weekend and going thru the tabs was reminded of this so thought I would do another "How to.........blog bits" and add this to the sidebar............So what are they.................some of you will know others will have no idea what I am talking about.................
site feeds allow what goes out to things like RSS feeds, google reader, bloglines etc............
you set up what you want to follow and the feed programs search for all the updates.
eg you follow a blog - they are what updates you that they have a new post in google reader............
&&&&&
this also helps out when reading blogs in google reader and you have scrolled down threw lots of posts and you get to the bottom of a post and go woops who was that and have to scroll back to the top to find out who's post it was as lots of people don't sign a name at the end of their posts
&&&&&
you can control what feeds go out.
I don't like blogs that only allow a few lines of the post to be sent out................tend to stop following those blogs................sometimes I don't realise they have a short feed and really I don't have time to go read extra opening another website.............yes great if I want to comment but usually doesn't give me enough to know I want to leave a comment.............
&&&&&
so how do you do it...............I have a pic below to help......
from the dashboard 
go to settings
site feed
allow blog feeds - full (must be full to allow the next box to show)
post feed footer -write your name here and/or your blog address
copy and paste your address if you tend to stuff it up............
SAVE SETTINGS
unfortunately the post feed footer is where some people add those annoying google ads too...........gosh I hate google ads.............if I wanted adds I would go find ad sites.............
anyway hope this helps or explains something............
Catch you later..............
Chookyblue
PS don't ask me about the post feed redirect URL as I don't use feedburner............

12 comments:

Susan said...

What a helpful & clever little chooky you are - almost like having your own teenager in the house!! Thanks Chooky!

Anonymous said...

Love your hints and tips, Chooky. Thanks so much.

Only one week to go!!! So looking forward to it. Sandy

Hey, you've got "email follow-up comments" box to tick below. Not everyone has that. What tab is that found on??

Miss Hillbilly said...

I, too, hate those short posts in readers..and they don't have photos. So annoying!

You know I am very bad about signing my name. I never do. Shame on me.

julia said...

you clever chook! it never occurred to me to add some text into that box...thank you for pointing this out!
i must say i find it not only annoying that people put ads in their post feed footer but decide not to show the full feed because they want you to go on their add-laden blog. bummer. it really makes me think twice whether i should continue reading their blogs (and i don't even speak of the "business" sewing blogs of designers and such, but the more or less personal ones.
have good sunday,
julia

Lynda said...

Thanks Chooky. I don't use reader but hopefully I've set it up correctly for others who do.

Marg said...

Thanks again for another helpful hint(s). Really helps us (novices) out in blogworld.

Marg

DK said...

I knew what it was, but I can't for the life of me figure out why I hadn't put anything in it before now. Thanks again for the tips. :)

Bloom said...

Good post Chooky! I have added my details at the end of my feed now, thanks to you. Feeds confuse me. Your post makes sense of it. Thanks. Ros x

Cubby House Crafts said...

Thankyou chooky! I am off to check things out!
Lisa

Janice said...

I didn't know any of that. Thanks for sharing and I am now all updated.

Chocolate Cat said...

Oh you are a wealth of knowledge, what would we do without you???

Lynn said...

Susan's right you are like a teenager. Except when you help us with all this computer stuff you are pleasant and helpful and I bet you never roll your eyes at us and sigh at how dense we are.